Hollingwood Lock House is the sole remaining lock house on this stretch of the canal. It is unique as a railway built lock house.
The Chesterfield Canal was opened in 1777. It originally ran through Staveley Works, but was rerouted when the Manchester, Sheffield and Lincoln Railway Company built a new line. This involved building a new lock with the railway line running over it. Hollingwood Lock was opened in 1892. Staveley Works Station was built on the bridge over the lock. The railway line was closed in 1963 and the station was demolished in the 1960s.
The Lock House was been rebuilt and extended in 2010/11 thanks to a grant of £385,000 from HM Government. It is now known as Hollingwood Hub.
Facilities include a Coffee Shop, a meeting and education room, a play and picnic area, shower and toilets. There is office space for the Chesterfield Canal Trust.
Hollingwood Hub is available for a huge number of uses. The meeting room can be used by schools, crèches or playgroups. It is available from the early morning until late evening so social events, training courses and night school classes find it really handy.
The garden is being developed by members of the Trust and local people and schools. There are benches, picnic tables and cycle racks.
The site is owned by Derbyshire County Council who supervised the renovation and construction. Hollingwood Hub is run by the Chesterfield Canal Trust.
Hollingwood Hub is on the Chesterfield Canal towpath. This is part of the Trans Pennine Trail. It is popular for walking and cycling. The canal is much used by anglers. It is occasionally used by boaters and canoeists.
The Coffee Shop is open from Wednesday to Sunday plus Bank Holiday Mondays.
For further information, or to make a booking, email email@example.com or ring 01246 477569.
The John Varley at Hollingwood Hub in July 2011.
Community Assets, funded by HM Government Office for Civil Society in 2008 and administered by the BIG Fund, the non-Lottery funding arm of the Big Lottery Fund.