West Stockwith is where the canal meets the River Trent. It is a beautiful place which – as the photos further down show – has changed little in over half a century.
The lock gates are huge because they connect the canal to the tidal River Trent.
The photo below shows a boat approaching the lock from downstream.
The photographs below show the same view (from the road bridge) of West Stockwith Basin in 2010, the 1950s and the 1960s.
A shot (above) from the 1950s; note the building straight ahead still has its top storey.
The photographs above and below are from the 1960s; note the broad boats.
One of the original (1981) Chesterfield Canal Society interpretation panels at West Stockwith.
And finally, here’s one from 1900 showing a Cuckoo boat being built and another old one below showing several Cuckoos.